We have a better idea of what a highly anticipated sports complex in Whitby will look like.
On Monday evening, Whitby City Council unanimously approved the final design concept for the new complex.
Construction of the new facility is expected to begin in the summer of 2023 with the complex scheduled to open in the fall of 2025.
The new complex will be located west of Baldwin Street South, south of the intersection of Highway 407.
Last spring, the city gathered feedback from more than 2,700 people.
“Thank you to everyone who took the time to share your suggestions on what you would like to see in our new sports complex,” said Mayor Don Mitchell. “This design responds to what you said is important to you and will result in an innovative, inclusive and sustainable facility that will better meet the recreational needs of our community now and in the future.”
The equipment now planned to be part of the future installation includes:
- an aquatic center with a 10-lane pool, a separate leisure pool and 2n/a ground spectator viewing area – which will make Whitby Sports Complex the largest swimming pool in Durham Region;
- a double gymnasium, with three-lane indoor walking track;
- a two-skate arena with 85′ x 190′ ice skates;
- flexible spaces to support community programs, meetings, and arts and cultural activities; and,
- space for outdoor recreational activities – such as a pump track and skateboard park; pickleball, tennis and basketball courts; multipurpose sports field; and playground and water play area.
To return to